Exfoliation is important for maintaining a healthy skin barrier and boosting confidence. When the light reflects off your face, that is luminous skin that glows. This happens when all the dead cells and gunk have been removed.
There are two types of exfoliants: chemical and physical.
Chemical exfoliants use acids to dissolve dead skin cells and reveal the fresh skin underneath. They are available in different strengths, so it is important to choose one that is right for your skin type.
- BHA's (beta-hydroxy acids) are good for oily and acne-prone skin. They penetrate deep into the pores to remove sebum, dirt, and debris.
- PHA's (poly-hydroxy acids) are gentler than BHA's and can be used on sensitive skin. They work on the surface of the skin to smooth out fine lines and wrinkles.
- AHA's (alpha-hydroxy acids) are also good for oily and acne-prone skin, but they can also be used to smooth skin, reduce hyperpigmentation and the appearance of scars.
Physical exfoliants use granules to scrub away dead skin cells. They can be gentle or harsh, so it is important to choose one that is right for your skin type.
- Gentle physical exfoliants, such as the apricot microspheres in the Hibiscus Cleansing Scrub, are good for all skin types.
- Harsh physical exfoliants, such as walnut shells, can be irritating to sensitive skin.
How to choose the right exfoliant for you
If you have sensitive skin, choose a gentle chemical exfoliant or a physical exfoliant that is made with small, soft granules. If you have oily or acne-prone skin, you may want to use a stronger chemical exfoliant or a physical exfoliant that contains BHA.
How to use exfoliants
Exfoliate 2-3 times per week, or more often if your skin tolerates it. Be sure to follow with a moisturizer and SPF to protect your skin barrier.
The M&B 5-Minute Glowup
This is a quick and easy way to exfoliate and boost your skin's radiance.
- Apply a nickel-sized dollop of the Hibiscus Cleansing Scrub to your face and décolletage. Add a bit of water to create an emulsion.
- While the scrub is on your skin, paint a thin layer of the Sea Kelp AHA/BHA Glow Mask on top.
- Wait 5 minutes, then remove with a warm, wet washcloth.
- Apply a cocktail of the Brightening Essence and Retinoic Botanical Serum.
- SPF always!
This routine will leave your skin feeling smooth, refreshed, and glowing.