As we age, our hair & lashes go through a number of changes. They may become thinner, drier, and coarser. They may also change color or texture. These changes are due to a number of factors, including genetics, hormones, and lifestyle choices.
One of the most noticeable changes in hair growth with age is thinning. This is because the hair follicles on our scalps shrink over time. This means that each follicle produces less hair, and the hair that does grow is thinner.
Another common change in hair growth with age is dryness. This is because the sebaceous glands, which produce sebum (oil), become less active as we age. Sebum helps to keep hair hydrated and moisturized. Without enough sebum, hair can become dry and brittle.
Hair texture can also change with age. Hair that was once fine and straight may become coarser and curlier. This is because the hair follicles produce different types of hair as we age.
Stages of eyelash and hair growth
Eyelashes and hair grow in a cycle, which consists of three phases:
- Anagen (growth phase): This is the phase when the hair follicle is actively growing. The anagen phase lasts for about 6-8 weeks for eyelashes and 2-6 years for scalp hair.
- Catagen (transition phase): This is a short phase, lasting only about 2-3 weeks. During this phase, the hair follicle starts to shrink and the hair stops growing.
- Telogen (resting phase): This phase lasts for about 2-3 months for eyelashes and 2-3 months for scalp hair. During this phase, the hair follicle is resting and the hair is not growing. At the end of the telogen phase, the hair falls out and the cycle starts over again.
Impact of aging on hair growth
As we age, the hair growth cycle slows down. This means that eyelashes and scalp hair may not grow as long or as thick as they used to. Eyelashes and scalp hair may also become more brittle and prone to breakage.
Impact of menopause on eyelash growth
Menopause can also have an impact on eyelash growth. During menopause, women experience a decline in estrogen levels. Estrogen is a hormone that plays a role in hair growth.
With lower estrogen levels, some women may experience hair loss, including eyelash loss. Eyelashes may also become thinner and less noticeable.
Other causes of eyelash and hair loss
In addition to aging and menopause, there are a number of other factors that can cause eyelash and hair loss. These include:
- Over-plucking: Plucking eyelashes or scalp hair can damage the hair follicles and lead to hair loss.
- Harsh hair products: Using harsh chemical rich hair products, such as shampoos, conditioners, and styling products which can irritate the scalp and lead to hair loss.
- Medical conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as thyroid disease, alopecia areata, and cancer, can also cause eyelash and hair loss.
There are a number of things you can do to help prevent eyelash and hair loss, including:
- Be gentle with your eyelashes and scalp hair. Avoid rubbing your eyes too hard and using harsh chemicals on them.
- Choose eye makeup products and hair products that are gentle on your eyes and scalp. Remove your eye makeup gently and wash your hair regularly.
- Keep your scalp and eyelids hydrated, using the right oils and nourishing products to keep your follicles healthy.
- Eat a healthy diet. A healthy diet will help to nourish your hair follicles and promote healthy hair growth.
- Get enough sleep. Sleep is essential for overall health, including hair health.
- Manage stress. Stress can lead to hair loss, including eyelash and scalp hair loss.
- Find healthy ways to manage stress, such as exercise, yoga, or meditation.
Aging can have a number of effects on hair growth, thickness, and texture, including eyelashes. However, there are a number of things you can do to help prevent eyelash and hair loss and keep your hair healthy.
At Meadow & Bark, our mission is to help you look and feel your best by creating seed to bottle, whole body skincare.
Our Botanical Hair Serum is designed to encourage growth and thickness of hair when utilized as a scalp treatment. It multitasks as a thermal, sea water and UV protector for day to day styling needs - it's great for all hair types promoting shine and manageability.
The Envy Oil Cleanser is a gentle, yet effective way to remove eye makeup, sunscreen and debris while keeping your skin soft and nourished.
And what is to come? We can’t wait to share it with you - it will be here very soon!